These are my final game assets for unit 67: Task 3.
My goal with this task was to create 4 different characters to parallel my graphic narrative, and 4 different environments that compliment each character.
Overall, I found creating and animating these elemental characters to be very challenging, mostly because rigging in Cinema 4d is quite challenging for creatures or entities that are not human, since you can’t use the preset character rigging in the software, and need to create the joints yourself. Even then, I had some issues with skin stretching, and found bound joints difficult to move since the rotate tool would dissapear once the joints were bound, meaning that you would have to enter coordinates to move joints.
On the other hand, creating the environments was not so difficult at all, since I had experience from the previous year, However, since I created 4 different environments for this task, none of them are too detailed or complex.
Creating the Environments
The idea here was to create an apocalyptic, volcanic landscape. I started with some basic landscapes primitives, these are great for creating smaller environments, as they are easy to customise and look good once you add more segments.
To create the volcanoes, I used an emitter to create a smoke effect, then added a pyrocluster and pyrocluster – volumetracer and applied them to the emitter, I also used orange spheres with glow and more emitters to create a firefly effect. Creating a decent looking volcano effect was surprisingly easy to do.
I then added a sky to the environment and turned it red to give the landscape a darker, more fiery feel.
This is the final result.
The water environment was the simplest to create, using a simple disk technique to animate the background with light rays. This involved using a light filtered by a transparent disk with an animated material on it, to create an animated water effect. I then added a sky, and used a gradient to make it more ocean like, the further down you move, the darker it gets.
Near the top of the light
Further away from the light
This is the largest environment out of the four, But the entire landscape is created from one primitive plane with a displacer material applied to it, this material helps to create a natural looking mountain range, and changing the seed of the material gives you a large variety of random combinations to choose from.
Adding bump to the material allowed me to make the ground look more rough and complex.
Using the emitter again, I managed to create some realistic looking clouds using the pyrocluster and shadowmaps lighting with global illumination. The idea is to let the emitter create particles for 3 frames, which will create clouds that look even denser with each frame.
When it came to adding the character, I added a rotation, which I wanted to use to create a vortex surronding him, since it’s setting on infinite, the clouds started to swirl around themselves, although this was an accident, I decided to keep it this way since I like the way it looked.
Creating the characters
I wanted the earth elemental to be a large, hulking beast, which is why I chose to give him more of a gorilla posture, when It came to actually creating it, I used a technique I learnt about on youtube explaining how to make realistic looking rocks using simple displacement materials applied to a primitive sphere.
I created rocks like this and used them as my building blocks to create a whole body.
After rigging him through CMotion didn’t seem to work, I decided to rig him from scratch using the joint tool, since it would be easier to get the exact shape I wanted, this was a challenge however, since it could be awkward to animate a creature that moves like a gorilla.
This is the last character I created. I created it with the same rock technique I used to create the earth character, although I put more emphasis on materials on this character to make him look more fiery. Admittedly this one was challenging and quite rushed, not only due to time constraints, but also because fire is difficult to create in Cinema 4D without an expensive plugin called TurbulenceFD, which I did not have access to.
Created and rigged using the same techniques as the earth character
To create his face, I used the spline tool and referenced my graphic narrative, then added a glow material.
I used an extruded disk primitive to create the body of the elemental, then spline modelling to create the armor referencing my graphic narrative. I then I placed an animated material on the creature to make it more watery.
This character was easier to animate, since he didn’t have legs, and his arms were more humanlike, however, I still had issues with stretching skin that I couldn’t fix in the end due to time restraints, which is why this character had limited movement.
Unfortunately. This character is completely static, it was impossible to rig it with the technique I used to create it. So I decided instead to use an emitter with a tracer effect to make a vortex surrounding this charater, so there is at least some animation in this scene. To create this character I started with the skeleton using the joint tool, and used a cloner to distribute cloudy-looking spheres evenly around its body, I then used an extruded disk to create its armor, and deleted random sections of it to make it look like the armor is rusted and is containing the creature.